Subject: Re: NetBSD & WinNT on one huge EIDE disk.
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: Matt Ragan <mragan@tivoli.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1997 11:38:51
Alicia da Conceicao wrote...
>      I know that DOS & Win95 cannot access more than 1024 cylinders.  Does
> anyone know if Win NT 4.0 can?  Also how am I to partition my large disk in
> half, in such a way that I can boot from both NetBSD & WinNT, when about an
> eight or so of the disk lies below 1024 cylinders?  Also what type of boot
> manager can I use to boot NetBSD and WinNT from the same drive.

Unfortunately, I've got NT loaded on my system with NetBSD, since we use
the abomination at work and its occasionally necessary for me to test
things out remotely.

I've got my i386 box booting DOS/Win3/Win95 (one FAT partition), Windows NT
(one NTFS partition), Linux (one ext2fs partition) and one NetBSD partition
(whole separate drive).  I'm using Linux's LILO to multi-boot the system,
and is the only reason that there is a Linux partition on the box.  One of
these days I or someone will get it ported to NetBSD, and can scrap Linux
altogether.

Windows NT can access more than 1024 cylinders, with the caveat that at least
the first few cylinders must be under 1024 for it to boot.  The one nice thing
about the Windows NT install is that unlike all previous versions of
Microsoft operating systems, it doesn't overwrite your boot blocks with
its own.

Matt Ragan           Corporate Information Technology       Tivoli Systems
Network Administrator                                       (512) 436-8821
9442 Capital of Texas Hwy, North                          Austin, TX 78759