Subject: NetBSD 1.2 panics after adding 2nd disk
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1996 02:03:09
	Hi,

today I added a second IDE harddisk (Maxtor 7213A) to a NetBSD-i386 1.2
system. I created a disklabel, called "newfs" and added "/dev/wd1d" to
"/etc/fstab". Upto this point everything worked fine.

But at the next reboot the kernel crashed with this message after
"fsck" accessed the root filesystem:

Stopped at:      _readdisklabel+0xb5:   divl 0x38(%ecx),%eax

After I removed "/dev/wd1d" from "/etc/fstab" the system got to multi user
mode without any problems. Mounting the second harddisk at this point works
fine. I tried to create the disklabel again three times (once with the NetBSD
installation floppy), tried to change the geometry a bit (twice as much heads,
half as much sectors etc.) but nothing helped.

Finally I replaced the harddisk with a Quantum LPS 120A. Now the system
prints this message at startup but works fine:

wd0: wdcintr: read intr before drq: status 0 error 0

What could cause this problem? Is it a software or hardware problem?

--
Matthias Scheler
tron@lyssa.owl.de