Subject: APC ups monitor?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, hackers@freebsd.org>
From: John Utz <jutz@atvideo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/1996 10:07:48
Hi gang;

	The fileserver that i mentioned in my last missive has been
undergoing massive spontaneous reboots periodically for some time now (
thus, the unwarranted obssesions with NT on the part of 92% of the staff )
we popped a ups on the thing, and it helped matters *alot* ( redmond
washington is going thru a major industrial growth spurt, and we are in a
low budget industrial park ). In spite of buying the ups, the systems
failures have started again ( yes, it may be a hardware problem, but it is
the server, and before i go into partswap mode, i would like to see if we
are still getting glitched ).

	The folks at APC *sell* monitor software for there ups. Has
anybody had any experience hacking up a perlscript ( or whatever ) that
visits the serial port and listens to what the ups has to say? The APC-ups
software only comes for NT, AS/400, vines, netware, etc, so buying the
software is out of the question.

	it would be nice to get something smart enuf to halt the machine,
but i would be ecstatic just to get something that announces a power
glitch, so i can log the dang thing.

thanks!

john