Subject: pcmcia patches and 3c589C (combo)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/1996 18:33:54
I borrowed a 3c589c PCMCIA ethernet card, plugged it into my laptop (a
Toshiba 410CDT) and tried booting up an OpenBSD install diskette to see
if the pcmcia patches would work properly with this combination (if it
does, I'll make my own NetBSD kernel with the patches). It recognized
the card just fine, but when I ifconfiged it up, the only host it could
see on the network was itself. I did this on both TP and coax, and tried
all 4 combinations of link? options in the ifconfig commandline.

Is there some other program I need to run to make this work? Have others
had success with the 589C card and the pcmcia patches? If I can make it
work, I'll get one of these cards for myself and have a truly useful
machine (currently the thing has BSDI and a XirCom. Yuck.)

Laine