Subject: PCMCIA-support?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dag Brattli <dagb@stud.cs.uit.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1996 14:42:58
I am trying to make the 3Com 3C589C Etherlink III PCMCIA card
work with NetBSD 1.1/Current without any luck.

The machine i am using is a HP Omnibook 4000C DX4

I have tried the patch from Stefan Grefen's pcmcia-0.7.2, and the latest
modification to the current kernel (15/1-96) with a new PCMCIA-patch. I have
also tried the modificaton of pcmcia-0.7.2-patch to NetBSD 1.1.

All of thease patches recognises the card, but they read the ethernet address
wrong. I think most of the reads are wrong. I have tried to delay the reads
more, but i don't think this is the problem.

The card works with an IBM laptop, so i wonder if the PCMCIA-chip is
different, or if there are som other things?

It seems to me that after reading the Linux 3c589_cs driver, that they
have used the CardServices layer to read the address right. This layer
is not yet implemented in NetBSD.

If someone knows what to do, or when the CardServices layer or driver for the
3C589-card will be ready, then please let me know. I dont have the skills/time
to write the driver/modifications myself, so if this is a long way in the
future, then i'm forced to convert to eh. Linux.

dag.
--
//// Dag Brattli            // Email: dagb@stud.cs.uit.no /
/// University of Tromsoe  // Phone: +47 776 44591       //