Subject: Re: Probe Conflict?
To: Paul Friedrichs <pfriedr@cpo-link.eucom.mil>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/1996 05:29:59
On Wed, 10 Jan 96 19:42:33 GMT  Paul Friedrichs wrote:

> I'm trying to cover all the bases.  If this is entirely an X
> question, please just tell me, so I know where to focus my efforts.
> Any ideas?

This is purely a X issue.  I have a very similar setup (ATI Mach64,
100Mhz P5, Nokia 477X monitor).  It was very trival to get 800x600
and 1024x768 to work.  However, trying 640x480 or 1280x1024 to work
is a nightmare; none of the modeDB hints work.  I've long since decided
I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do them custom via
the VideoModes.doc.  I'm just a lazy bastard tho :-)

Hang in there; you will get it.  It may be a painful road, but it
is doable.  I highly recommend the VideoModes.doc, it lends great
insight into getting things just right; Caveat Reader tho: it
took me serveral readings to get some of the topics down; don't rush it...