Subject: Re: ATAPI CD-ROM
To: Phillip F. Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
From: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@ftel.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1995 08:17:38
 On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 13:58:22 -0500, "Phillip F. Knaack" <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu> said:

>Has anyone been working on this type of driver, and if so, what is the
>state of it? If not, what would be required for someone like myself to
>begin work on it? What is the interest in this type of driver?

 I have been working on such a driver.  The state is, it works fine
for something like workman (ie will merrily play your audio CDs,
though I haven't been bothered writing extraneous bits, eg the volume
control stuff[%], more proof of concept sort of thing) but I can't for
the life of me get it to read data CDs.  More to the point it hangs my
machine (controller timeouts etc etc) :-( I presumably have missed
something subtle to do with the way read() interacts with interrupt
driven IO.

 I had backshelved it, in the hope that inspiration would come my
way...

 I'm more than happy to give anyone a copy, at least it'd save you
retyping the ATAPI spec (~190 pages of FrameMaker or PS in
/fission.dt.wdc.com:/pub/standards/atapi/spec/SFF8020-r1.2).

Cheers,

	Ian

 Ian Fitchet						I.D.Fitchet@ftel.co.uk
 Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe ltd., Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YU, UK

[%] though given how much my CD (NEC 260) varies from the spec,
whether it would work for mine at all...