Subject: Re: Summary & followup: Questions/problems trying a first-ever install
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/20/1995 18:00:33
/* Note: I removed tech-install@NetBSD.ORG out of the cc: since this does
       not contain relevant information to that mailing list.  */

>> is text by Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>:
>  is text by Curt Sampson <a09878@giant.mindlink.net>:

>> Here is a summary of my 3 questions and answers:

[<1> and <2> snipped for brevity...]

>> (3) My NE2000 card wasn't recognized and I got the (in?)famous error message
>>     "Unknown AT&T board type".

>>     The answer was "Everybody gets that if you don't have an AT&T board" and
>>     to ignore it.

Eh?  I don't get this error.  It went away after I recompiled my kernel
to recognize the NE2000 card.

>>     The question about the NE2000 card was more interesting.  Several people
>>     noted that I'd somehow overlooked the part of the INSTALL doc wherein it
>>     stated where and how the card had to be set up to be recognized:

>> 	device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 9  iomem 0xd0000
>> 	device ed1 at isa? port 0x250 irq 9  iomem 0xd8000
>> 	device ed2 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xcc000

>>     Since my card is at port 0x340 and IRQ 5, it can't be used unless I
>>     either re-jumper it (yikes) or get someone to build me a 1.0 GENERICAHA
>>     kernel with a changed "ed0" config entry that matches my hardware.

> Changing the jumpers is dead easy. Unforutnately, you *can't* change
> the jumpers on an NE2000 (at least, any NE2000 I've seen) to match any of
> these because you can only use irqs 2-5 (2 == 9 for NetBSD) and ports
> 0x300, 0x320, 0x340 and 0x360. Perhaps the default kernel should be
> changed in the next release to fix this.

I have an ethernet card that will use those:

   punk:/usr/src.R/sys/arch/i386/conf>grep ed0 PUNK
   device ed0 at isa? port 0x340 irq 10

The Compex Combo-16 ethernet cards can emulate SMC/WD cards, emulate NE2000
cards, and they have their own compex mode as well.  The jumper-settings
are quite versatile for these to be able to cover all possibilities.

Another quick word about these - they have all three ethernet type ports
in them ("thin" coax 10base2, "thick", and "twisted pair" 10baseT).

(No, I don't work for Compex, I just happen to enjoy this card.)

>> Here are my followup clarification questions:

>> (1) The above mentions ed0 & ed1 as being at "irq 9" - that's what the 1.0
>>     /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERICAHA config file has in it.  But the
>>     1.0 INSTALL document quotes irq *2* for these, not 9. Is "INSTALL" wrong?

>>     Also, is "iomem" an address that is card-specified, or O/S-specified?  I
>>     have seen the IRQ and port # talked about before, but never have I seen
>>     an "iomem" address listed w.r.t. the card (at least, not from the DOS
>>     messages I see concerning the card when it boots).  David Hobley asked
>>     this same question (more or less) about a week ago; I haven't seen any
>>     answers to that in the mailing list archives ...

> Iomem doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

I concur.  the iomem setting is used for the SMC/WD cards that are mentioned
in the INSTALL notes for ed? drivers.  NE?000 cards don't use high mem.

>> (2) If someone were to build me a custom GENERICAHA with the correct ed0
>>     entry for my hardware (IRQ 5, port 0x340), wouldn't it have to be as
>>     part of a completely re-gen'd KCAHA-10.FS floppy?  (If so, I could FTP
>>     it from somewhere, as the DOS/Windows already on the PC has FTP
>>     software.)

Hmm.. I just compiled one for a guy on irc. (wazzitU?)

Either way, it's at ftp://punk.weru.ksu.edu/pub/RIOTN.tar.gz which contains
the kernel "netbsd" and the conf file.  It's essentially "GENERICAHA" with
a change to the NE2000 ed0 line.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'