Port-hpcmips archive

Re: [OT] WorkPad z50 power supply

well ya it won't provide you power however a little secret. that power brick is
not all that specific matter of fact the regulation bites on em. any 19V PSU
will do as long as the connector matches looking at my 4 bricks yes I got 4
(two of em I should throw away (something about an overheating issue with the
ibm workpad/thinkpad PSU but mine dun get hot :) so I got 4 LOL 19V 2.4A PSu
although open circuit voltage is 19.66V on one I measured once, they fluctuate
there not rock solid PSU's  you can use any brick type that has the same
connector positive on the inside and is around 19V if you go too low it won't
charge the battery but albeit still power the workpad, you can plug 12V in
there but it will just power the unit. That's a hint for those among you that
want to use it in the car But you better make sure you have spike suppression
the workpad Z50 won't like 40V spikes But you can use a few caps and a 14V
zener diode to get around that problem. I'm
 right now working on an inverter circuit that will provide the 19V with a car
plug however I have many projects going so it will take a while.
So my advice take it and find a cheap psu on ebay the old 19V thinkpad ones
will work too (that have the same connector) or if you have one laying around
it could even just have 1A and 19V it will just take longer to charge the
battery.
My $.02
terramir