Subject: Re: Getting started with a Uniden PC100 (8 MB)
To: None <4u@gno.de>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/21/2003 18:39:00
On 2003-11-21 4u@gno.de wrote:

> > I don't know if the CPU is supported. It seems to be related to the
> > Toshiba processors,
> Why do you say this?
>
> The CPU is meant to be a PR13700 from Philips based on R3000.
> This processor is somehow working in Nino 200, Velo 500 and other devices.
>
> What does Toshiba have to do with it?

  The Toshiba CPUs are referred to as TX39XX, TMPR39XX, or PR39XX.  The
Philips web site says the PR13700 is based on a PR3901 core, which is the
same (family at least) as the Toshiba chips.  I don't know who designed
the core, but the fact that it works suggests that the PR13700 is very
similar to the TX3912.  There could be differences that are not apparent
yet, but it could also potentially be an identical chip.

  What boot selection did you use?  The Nino 312 is the most basic
configuration; the others have button configurations that might not match
your system (and could potentially damage it).

> > What do you want to do with the system?
>
> Have a Unix-Server in my hands.
> Play with unix on different plattforms.
>
> Possibly use it as a 'backup'-Server  for
> data from my mobile phone.
>
> Maybe I can get more usefull features working.
>
> Have a little thing to play somehow with.

  :).  It is very encouraging that it booted.  Do you have a NetBSD/i386
machine or other UNIXy system?

  One condition that applies to all NetBSD/hpcmips systems is that suspend
does not work (without rebooting back to CE).  This is because resume from
suspend jumps to a fixed address in ROM, which executes CE code.  However,
at least one Linux developer was able to hack his system to return to
Linux by disassembling the code and finding a means of exiting ROM without
stomping on memory, so this should be possible (though quite possibly
platform specific).  Suspend from NetBSD will use somewhat more power,
which could be a problem with an AA battery powered system.

> > At least you should make sure that the correct system id is used,
> >  not select a similar system from the list.
> > Let me know if you still want to try it and there is no selection in the
> > pbsdboot menu, I can find the system id for you.
>
> I would like to get an Uniden PC100A ID.
>
> The metioned 1.5.1 kernel seems to work.
> I can boot it quite well with the hpcboot.exe.
>
> This produces some output either to the
> 'local' dump-display in hpcboot.exe or also
> to the serial interface connected to the device.

  Looking a little closer, I think the Nino 312 setting should work until
you are ready to make kernel modifications.  Could you send a copy of the
boot log from serial console?

> after a short while it certainly can not find a
> root or miniroot device.
>
> Are the options of hpcboot.exe somewhere documented?
> There are a lot of unnamed tics in my device.

  I haven't used hpcboot much.  It is posible that the unnamamed areas are
Japaneese characters, as the NetBSD/hpcmips developers are Japaneese
(although looking at the source I have shows English text is present, so
perhaps this isn't the reason).

> would there be 1.6 kerenel arround that con be made
> to work.

  Try the netbsd-TX3912.gz kernel under:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/hpcmips/binary/kernel/

  My TX machines are all TX3922 based, so it is possible that the prblems
I see are TX3922-specific.  I asked at one point if anyone used a 1.6 or
later kernel on TX machines and didn't get a response.

  A major advantage of using 1.6 or later is the build system, which makes
it much easier cross compile, especially from non-NetBSD hosts.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com