Subject: Simtec Announcement
To: None <port-cats@netbsd.org>
From: None <vince@simtec.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 03/09/2004 01:29:11
--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

If you own a CATS board please visit
http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB110ATX/resources.html and read the
Product Change Notification.

Recently there has been some discussion about ABLE our next generation
boot loader. I would just like to make clear that there is *no* GPL
code in ABLE and only minimal BSD code (headers for the ffs
filesystem). ABLE is an underived original work not based on any other
code base. Sorry to have to stress that but otherwise someone might
get the wrong idea.

It has been mentioned ABLE is more "Linux" in its approach. I hope
this isn't the general perception! ABLE is intended to be its own
interface, it is a boot loader not an OS after all. Perhaps this idea
has come about because of the naming of partition aliases? they are
just names, usually the (hd0) aliases would be used. If a (wd0a) type
set of names would be useful please let me know and I will look at
including that naming scheme in addition.

I would encourage all users to upgrade to ABLE 1.95 to gain access to
the new features it offers, it is also being actively maintained
unlike cyclone which is beginning to show its age.

Please don't hesitate to create a support incident for any features
you would like to see in ABLE (please use the incident submission
button at the bottom of the resources page) or simply reply to the
list, I am subscribed.

--=20
Vincent Sanders
http://www.simtec.co.uk