Subject: Re: FYI: After the fair
To: None <al@ssh.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/10/1997 13:43:45
On Fri 10 Oct 1997, Andre Lange wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> > There was a demo, but I didn't see much of it and I can't remember anything
> > noteworthy. I have an info paper here which tells something about the expansion
> > options. Forgive me if anything of the following doesn't make sense, but I know
> > nothing about PC hardware:
> >
> > - PCI to ISA bridge
> > - 4 x EDO-Rams (up to 32MB each, I guess)
> > - 68040 CPU
> > - parallel port
> > - floppy port
> > - 2 x IDE bus
> > - 3 x ISA slot
> > - flash ROM for TOS
> > - 4 x PCI slot
> > - super I/O (whatever that means)
>
> It' a PC-compatible IO-chip with FDC,
> EIDE, serial and parallel (standard, ECP, EPP) port.
> I think a good idea, but not ATARI-conform.

Please pray that they will pick one with a fifo. I still have trouble with
the Hades floppy drive while running multi-user :-( I tried some different
scemes already, but with no success.

> > - keyboard connector (they thought of every detail ...)
> > - **NO** SCSI connector (yet? --- What a shame!)
>
> - still no running operating system. (patched TOS 4.0x is planned)
>
> A complete machine with 8MB, ET6000-card, 1.2GB-EIDE-disk, Minitower
> will cost about 1500,-DM.
> The 'FALKE Verlag' will be the distributor. (Mister Goukassian...)

That _is_ cheap!

> At the fair there was a developer-meeting with following persons:
> - Fredi Aschwaden (HADES, Medusa, HADES-Pentiumcard),
> - Steffen Engel (SCSIDRV, CBHD, Adaptec 2940-Driver),
> - Uwe Seimet (HDDRIVER, Outside),
> - A. Goukassian (FALKE-Verlag, ST-Computer & ATARIinside),
> - and two other freaks (lost the names, both related to ASH, networking/MagiC).
>
> I spoke to all persons of this meeting (before the meeting).
> - Fredi Aschwaden need the SCANCODE-solution for the HADES-keyboard-processor,
>   I am just working on (for his Pentium card).

You mean the problem that not all keys have a unique scancode? If so, please,
please fix it fast ;-) I'm getting crazy with the tricks I need to type \`~|
characters...

[ .... ]
> - A. Goukassian needs a development-crew for the Milan.
> - S. Engel has finished an Adaptec 2940 driver month ago, but F. Aschwaden
>   discovered a hardware-error on the HADES-PCI2.0-bus which causes problems
>   when doing Hardware-DMA (he twisted two control-lines).
>   Don't worry, Fredi will solve the problem.

Funny, I have a 2940 in my Hades too. Mostly to experiment with the memory
and I/O mappings. What I am trying to achieve is that the NetBSD kernel
re-arranges the PCI I/O and memory addresses when it detects overlap.
Currently when you plug in a PCI card that overlaps with the et4000, you
loose your console :-(

[ ... ]

> > - network and ISDN cards
>
> Works well on HADES with MagiC, NetBSD/atari.

Right! I have an Accton ISA card talking to the Riebl card in my TT030 and
a Teles16.3 for ISDN. Both drivers are not officially in the NetBSD tree
currently.

Leo.