Subject: Re: FYI: After the fair
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <al@ssh.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/10/1997 10:09:21
Hi folks!

> There was a demo, but I didn't see much of it and I can't remember anything
> noteworthy. I have an info paper here which tells something about the expansion
> options. Forgive me if anything of the following doesn't make sense, but I know
> nothing about PC hardware:
>
> - PCI to ISA bridge
> - 4 x EDO-Rams (up to 32MB each, I guess)
> - 68040 CPU
> - parallel port
> - floppy port
> - 2 x IDE bus
> - 3 x ISA slot
> - flash ROM for TOS
> - 4 x PCI slot
> - super I/O (whatever that means)

It' a PC-compatible IO-chip with FDC,
EIDE, serial and parallel (standard, ECP, EPP) port.
I think a good idea, but not ATARI-conform.

> - keyboard connector (they thought of every detail ...)
> - **NO** SCSI connector (yet? --- What a shame!)

- still no running operating system. (patched TOS 4.0x is planned)

A complete machine with 8MB, ET6000-card, 1.2GB-EIDE-disk, Minitower
will cost about 1500,-DM.
The 'FALKE Verlag' will be the distributor. (Mister Goukassian...)

At the fair there was a developer-meeting with following persons:
- Fredi Aschwaden (HADES, Medusa, HADES-Pentiumcard),
- Steffen Engel (SCSIDRV, CBHD, Adaptec 2940-Driver),
- Uwe Seimet (HDDRIVER, Outside),
- A. Goukassian (FALKE-Verlag, ST-Computer & ATARIinside),
- and two other freaks (lost the names, both related to ASH, networking/MagiC).

I spoke to all persons of this meeting (before the meeting).
- Fredi Aschwaden need the SCANCODE-solution for the HADES-keyboard-processor,
  I am just working on (for his Pentium card).
  His PCI-Pentium-card has own graphics, EIDE, multi-IO and ram.
  First the PC-card has to boot and init his own VGA-card, then the HADES will boot
  and share the graphics-RAM. This was the way how to work simultanious with Win95
  and MagiC 5.x first time. You can use one keyboard and (later) one mouse for both
  platforms by having a hotkey for switch the platform. Sometimes you need a screen
  redraw, because the Wintel-platform does not recognize when the ATARI-platform
  modifies the Desktop.
- A. Goukassian needs a development-crew for the Milan.
- S. Engel has finished an Adaptec 2940 driver month ago, but F. Aschwaden
  discovered a hardware-error on the HADES-PCI2.0-bus which causes problems
  when doing Hardware-DMA (he twisted two control-lines).
  Don't worry, Fredi will solve the problem.
- Stephan Wilhelm's digital-harddisk-recording-soundcard for the HADES-VME-bus
  with 16Bit-A/D, 18Bit-D/A  at 48kHz sample rate (stereo)
  and SP/DIF-Chips at 96kHz sample rate
  (optional DSP56002-66MHz, 128K x 24Bit SRAM/12ns) works also very well,
  but he decided to write his Software in GFA-Basic (STARTRACK 1.05).

> As currently in work are announced:
>
> - Falcon compatibility card (with DSP)
> - Pentium processor card (YUK, who needs that?)

Works well on HADES.

> - network and ISDN cards

Works well on HADES with MagiC, NetBSD/atari.

> - sound, MIDI and ROM port cards

The ROM-port card works well under TOS with an special
HADES-cache-accessory (three ports, named Port-A/B/C).
It is named ROPOCOP, pluged into an ISA-slot and has
one extern and two intern ATARI-ROMPORT-compatible
connectors. Needed for dongles of 'Soundpool CD-Recorder 2',
'Emagic Logic 2.5', and 'Steinberg Cubase Audio Falcon 2.6'.
They all work on HADES 040/060.
The ROPOCOP will cost 200,-DM (MW electronic ComputerSysteme)

BTW: Does someone have docs about the DDC-channel of modern
     SVGA-monitors (DDC 1, DDC 1A/2B). It's an comunication port
     via the graphics-card (VGA-cable) or optional serial port.
     Nice to use for identifying the monitor and his geometry.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen, Andre' Lange