Subject: Re: DOS-formatted ZIP disks?
To: None <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
From: Michael Brandt <mike@wowbagger.pc-labor.uni-bremen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/22/1997 23:29:07
Hi,

> I finally managed to get a working installation of NetBSD/atari, the
> non-relocating kernel solved my vm_fault problem. I also manged to
> install the bootstrap with only minimal problems (1.2's installboot
> doesn't like the 1.2E kernel). Getting back into TOS was the bigger

So do you use a 1.2 or 1.2E kernel now?

I had some problems wiht the 1.2 and 1.2.1 kernels myself when
installing NetBSD. After switching to the 1.2D kernel from the arch
directory they vanished. The problems included a vm_fault after
binpatching the kernel in order to rung X11 and diffculties in
recognizing my ZIP drive.

> Unfortunately, one problem remains: NetBSD/atari is unable to read
> DOS-formatted ZIP disks.

I'm using a home compiled 1.2E kernel now and everything works fine. I
tried ZIP disks with TOS, DOS and ffs filesystems and didn't encounter
any errors. BTW: The DOS formatted ZIP disk I tried was preformatted,
perhaps it doesn't work if you use a disk formatted somewhere else.

Greetings

Mike