Subject: Re: 2. Test-Results (Many things)
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: None <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/16/1996 02:43:13
Leo Weppelman wrote:

> Hi Helmar,
>
>         - You said:
>       >                 tar -tvf /zip1/netbsd-usr.tar
>       >                 ==> panic: buffer larger than expected
>       It's no clear to me if you mean the MAXBSIZE message here. Because
>       it looks like both the source & destination of the copy were ffs-type
>       filesystems.

You're both right. I forgot the word "MAXBSIZE" ! The correct message was
	panic: buffer larger than MAXBSIZE expected
It's also correct: the /zip1 contained a FFS-type filesystem (source).
But the destination exactly was the terminal (only listing tar-file -
t-option). May be this messages comes, because I changed the media just
before the above command from a MSDOS-type fs to ffs.

>    - Could you provide me with a stack trace of one of those MMU type
>      panics.

follows soon (tonight too late).

>    - All those panics look like somehow data transfer through SCSI
>      ends up at places that are outside the planned DMA area... I don't
>      really get this :-( And why does this not happen on Markus' Falcon,
>      is this hardware????? I think about a way to verify this.

Tja, my question ! To help to clear my hardware I can say that my actual
Falcon has a NEW motherboard which is very newer as my last one of last year;
this is from about first quarter of 1993. But the disk is a very old MFM-disk
from about 1988 from CDC-WREN V or something (588 MB raw disk space).
However the ZIP (IOMEGA) is very new (from Oct 1995)
>    - The fact that sometimes your Falcon must be turned off for a while
>      gives me the idea that the kernel 'forgets' to initialize something.

Haeh' can you explain this a little ??? What happens, what is the difference
when Falcon is switched of a _longer_ time or a _shorter_ time ?

--
          ___   __   Helmar Goettsch (Admin HEG: Lehrstuhl III, Informatik)
  /   /  /     /  '  Orleansstr. 34, D-81667 Muenchen, Phone: 089/48095-190