Subject: Re: arc bootloader (Re: Just Checking )
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 07/05/2001 10:51:11
On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 08:31:25PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

 > > Many Jazz based bioses have issues with accessing the raw device.
 > > However, they can't be too bad or ARCINST.EXE wouldn't work.
 >
 > BTW, I guess we have to have at least one FAT partition
 > on the boot disk to load primary bootloader, right?
 > (i.e. ARC BIOS can load programs only from FAT?)
 > Then the bootloader should recognize fdisk partition, too..

Yes, well, rdisk() as well.

For real disk devices, the device name would look like this:

scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

Now, the question is: Do you open scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0) or
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)?  I assume the bootloader
would actually open the former, and would then do the partition
translation on its own?

Izumi -- could you send me your code?  I'd like to help out with this.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>