Subject: Re: really stupid newbie needs lots of help
To: Bob Smith <rwsmith@warwick.net>
From: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/16/2001 12:38:48

> > I'm working on SCSI issue and now very experimental driver exists.
> > If you want to install NetBSD without installer and play with it,
> > I can provide bootable ISO image to you.
> >
> I just downloaded URATA's diff for 2250 (arctype rd94)..

he also made changes apply to riscserver 2200 (arctype rd96)so if ( a config
file to build kernel wasn't attched) the kernel
was configured for two scsi controller's the bootable ISO
image may very well work on a riscserver 2200.  The only
'gotcha' you should be aware of is the video controller code
is broken so you must use a serial (com1) console.
Now unless the kernel (on the boot image) was configured
for 'COMCONSOLE' you will need to make a 'menu boot'
entry (ie arc firware setup) ... The two required entries
are 'OSLOADER' that points to the cdrom and
'debug flags' needs to be set to tell netbsd kernel
you want serial console...I forget now what
the value maybe someone else knows?

I am curious if this works, currently I am 'snowed' in Seattle USA
so I won't be able to test anything till next week.