Subject: serial console on Magnum 4000SC cont'd
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 09/22/2000 06:04:36
Mysteriously, ARC began working on serial port 0, despite the fact that I
specifically set CONSOLEIN and CONSOLEOUT to use serial(1).  Anyway, there's
a new problem, and a genius one at that...  ARC comes up on serial(0), using
ANSI emulation.  So far so good.  You use the arrow keys to scroll, and <enter>
to select.  Now, you're on a sub-menu.  You need to use the arrow keys once
again to scroll, but you realize that <escape> takes you back to the main menu,
and the arrow keys are obviously escape codes!!  So whenever you try to scroll
on a sub-menu, you immediately end up back on the MAIN menu.  Everyone with me
so far?  Basically, from what I can tell, ARC on a serial console is totally
non-functional, although it pretends to be.  And yes, I've tried every possible
keystroke and control character, NOTHING else will allow you to scroll on a
sub-menu.  Can you believe the genius at work here?  Has anyone else seen this?

Besides this, the MIPSPROMEXE floppy that was mentioned previously on this
list doesn't work on my 4000SC.  It's ignored on boot, and if I try to run any
of the .EXE files from ARC, I crash into the debugger.  I'm assuming this
floppy is for the 4000PC, and something is fundamentally different.

At this point the only way I can think of to get ARC back on video is to boot
with an NVRAM chip from another 4000SC, then hot swap it with mine and write
the defaults to it.  Hopefully this will work, otherwise I'll be ordering
another NVRAM chip from Dallas Semi.  What a headache!

Cheers,
-Mark