Subject: Re: amd64 box on the way
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/19/2006 19:20:55
On 2/19/06, Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> wrote:

> I just bought a low end Athlon 64 box from pcclub.com. They have a store =
near
> me with reasonable prices and no &$%&()&()& rebates!
>
> The box: Enpower Nitro 4 $434
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte  A-K8N51GMF-9
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
> Memory: 512MB DDR400
> CDR/DVD Combo: 52X32X52+16X
>
> The board is nforce4.
>
> I figure that if the network doesn't work I'll put in an Intel PRO100/M.
>
> If the graphics won't do X, I have also ordered various video cards from
> various places that should work.
>
> I have NetBSD/amd64 3.0 release CD.
> I have NetBSD/amd64 -current (the latest from NetBSD-daily/HEAD) CD.
> I have OpenBSD 3.8 amd64 CD.
> Solaris 10 is on the way.
>
> How well will NetBSD run on this box?

Can't comment on that hardware if that's what you're looking for.

As for NetBSD/amd64, it seems to work pretty good. I felt like the
coolest guy on my block when I got it running. A real 64 bit operating
system.

Since then I have seriously question why I continue to run it instead
of NetBSD/i386. The lack of some software hurts, the big one being
Openoffice. And some 32bit Linux stuff. I haven't tried the 32 bit
compatibility yet.

Andy