Re: Failure to build go on some 32bit port-i386 machines

On Sun, May 05, 2024 at 04:47:37PM +0200, Benny Siegert wrote:
> Hey Alexander,
>
> I suspect you will find better answers to this question on the golang-dev mailing list.

It's by now pretty clear that my target machine (AMD Geode LX) is no longer
a supported target for i386 golang since about 2020, when it was decided
to make Pentium4 the lowest supported architecture.

Asking on golang-dev is unlikely to cause this decision to be
rolled back ;-)

Since what got me here was wanting to run node_exporter, I've got
two remaining open paths:
 - look at sysutils/netbsd_exporter and fix it (it currently reports
   negative numbers for filesystem size)
 - figure out how Debian/Devuan built their i386 node_exporter package
   and replicate it for NetBSD - because _that_ one runs on my
   target machine type without exploding

Thank you all very much for the helpful comments and pointing to the
golang decision about i386.

And yes, wanting to still runs such an old box instead of replacing it
with some current ARM is a decision that's entirely on me ;-)

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison