Re: Updating mbrola (again)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024, Greg Troxel wrote:
 The use of -git as a suffix because uptream is hosted on github, or
 uses git, is not ok.

That was in case for some reason I didn't understand you wanted to
keep the package based in the old binary. Remember, this was more
than a year ago, nobody responded.

Are you saying it is ready for hoisting to pkgsrc?

I'll make them ready following your advice, and ask for help here.
Remember, nobody responded, I didn't push them again to wip.

I did a port back then of emacspeak. I don't have vision disabilities,
but I'm interested in interfacing a computer only with audio. It's
something I've been always curious about. Altough I have a love-hate
relationship with emacs, it offers a complete and uniform textual
environment. Another interesting project I've been using is edbrowse,
but I'm not satisfied with the software screen readers I've tried,
and then you need other software for other tasks and the uniformity
of the interface is then broken. I think this could be good for
the community, people with vission impairment has been left out of
netbsd. At least that is my impression, correct me if I'm wrong.
The idea I have is to make an image with the latest release (I hope
it will be 10) so someone could boot an rpi into X11 (so that person
could share work with peope without vision disabilities) into an
emacspeak session. Then this person could also use the pi as an
audio terminal, through ssh or the uart port to interact with
other systems, even at boot time.

There are instability problems with raspberry pi computers on
netbsd, specially with usb, and isochronous transmissions on the
pi4 have been broken for years, imagine the confussion of a person
who can't see the screen when some usb device is plugged in and
the system crashes and reboot itself, or the frustration when all
usb audio devices like cameras or microphones don't work. So I've
been using other systems, and going back to netbsd now and then.

Those packages (and the others I pushed to wip back then: espeak-ng,
sonic, tclx...) are emacspeak's dependencies.

Regards,
adr.