Re: shells/oh-my-posh

* On 2023-03-21 at 13:26 GMT, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:

While it is perfectly reasonable to have pkgsrc packages targeting specific
architecture/platform combinations as part of its infrastructure, in my view
a leaf utility package like this should not be accepted if it does not build
under the main pkgsrc target platform.

I realise we're veering well off-topic here, but I just want to register my complete opposition to any notion of NetBSD being the only "blessed" target operating system for pkgsrc, and that other platforms should be treated with less importance.

For over 20 years we've been a cross-platform package manager, and it has contributed heavily to pkgsrc being what it is today. One could argue it is by far and away its biggest strength. Yes, TNF provide resources that help the project run, but I very much see pkgsrc as "a portable package manager that runs on over 20 operating systems", not "the NetBSD package manager that happens to run on some other OS too".

Saying our users should not be able to install software just because it doesn't at present install on NetBSD, even though it builds fine on many of their target platforms, is certainly not what I would want them to hear.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com