Re: Problems building pkgin on NetBSD 7/8

On 2020-01-21 00:45, Mike Pumford wrote:
Anyone else seeing this:

checking for library containing socket... none required
checking for library containing inet_addr... none required
checking for strlcpy in -lnbcompat... yes
checking for library containing fetchGetURL... no
configure: error: libfetch not found.
*** Error code 1

libfetch IS installed. The .a is in /usr/pkg/lib and pkgsrc itself says:

=> Build dependency libfetch>=2.39nb1: found libfetch-2.39nb1
=> Build dependency cwrappers>=20150314: found cwrappers-20180325
=> Full dependency pkg_install>=20130901: found pkg_install-20191008nb1
=> Full dependency openssl>=1.1.1dnb2: found openssl-1.1.1dnb2
===> Overriding tools for pkgin-0.15.0nb1

My chroot package builds using libkver have started reporting this on Both 7.2 and 8.1 amd64. Build host is actually 9.0-RC1 and building pkgin for the native 9.0-RC1 amd64 work fine.

Okay I THINK I've figured this out.

pkgin is now forcibly depending on openssl 1.1.1 from pkgsrc on 8.x and 7.x. However its libfetch dependency is being built to satisfy pkg_install.

libfetch doesn't default to building with openssl support at all and has to be forcibly told to use pkgsrc openssl over the builtin one. I THINK (but I'm not 100% sure that openssl support might be enabled in libfetch using the system openssl by default).

So I suspect that the reason libfetch can't be found is because there is a conflict between the system openssl and the one being referenced by pkgin.

To prove this I set:
PKG_OPTIONS.libfetch=inet6 openssl
USE_BUILTIN.openssl=no

This then built libfetch with the pkgsrc openssl and let pkgin find it successfully. However without these options set a simple make install in the pkgin directory won't work. What I can't figure out is why this isn't showing up on bulk builds or other peoples 7.x and 8.x systems Am I really the first to run into this? Or am I just doing something unusual?

Mike