Re: issues with chemtool from 2019Q2

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 07:28:32AM +0000, voidpin wrote:
> Thanks!
> paxctl +a didn't work, but disabling MPROTECT with paxctl +m did the trick and the program now launches without issues.
>
> A question though, could this be a security concern?

Yes and no - if there is still an active upstream, it is best to let
them know about it (sometimes it is just lazy programing and could easily
be fixed). But first thing they'd ask for is a backtrace from a core
dump when run with active mprotect. Even if no active upstream is available,
we might want to patch the pkg so it can work with mprotect.

Martin