AUTO_MKDIRS (was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/emulators/minivmac)

Am 07.01.2018 um 23:15 schrieb Kamil Rytarowski:
On 07.01.2018 22:46, Roland Illig wrote:
-INSTALLATION_DIRS=	bin
+AUTO_MKDIRS=	yes

Is this really necessary?

AUTO_MKDIRS creates problems for package maintainers, when the directory
layout changes it's painful to upgrade to a newer version.

No, it's not necessary. I just don't know _why_ it is painful. Could you explain it? Then I'll remove the suggestion of using AUTO_MKDIRS from pkglint and document its downsides in mk/install/install.mk.

My current impression is that updating a package is always painful when the directory layout changes. Whether you have to edit the Makefile or the PLIST or both. So how does a package upgrade look like if:

1. AUTO_MKDIRS is used

2. INSTALLATION_DIRS is set

3. Some other alternative I forgot?

Thanks,