Re: Does anybody use pkgsrc on Centos/RHEL/Fedora on a daily basis?

Am Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:08:26 +0000
schrieb Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-degen%yahoo.com@localhost>:

> If anybody is running it from inside Centos/RHEL or Fedora, please
> share your tips.

We run the setup you describe on a HPC cluster. Basic CentOS 7 and
pkgsrc on top for our users. I built a script that runs a pkgsrc
bootstrap and installs a configured package list of packages into a
versioned prefix. The biggest trouble I had is quirks with forcing
pkgsrc into using our pre-installed compiler and MPI libraries and, in
the beginning, making it use the MIT kerberos libs from CentOS (not
that we make any actual use of that).

I remember trouble with deciding between system zlib and that from
pkgsrc ... a mix usually is not a good idea and results in linker
errors later on (libselinux complaining comes to mind). Other decisions
like using SSL/TLS library from pkgsrc or base system depend on which of
them you intend to treat with regular security updates.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis