Re: Firefox stability?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, John D. Baker wrote:

> I'll head back to firefox-47.x in pkgsrc-2016Q2 and see if that works.

I built firefox-47.0.1nb3, the last version/revision before firefox-48.x
was imported.  It behaves the same way.

So, it seems to me that something else is causing firefox to misbehave,
but I can't fathom what that could be.

Just to make sure there wasn't something systemically wrong, I launched
'evince' (print/evince3) and printed some sample pages from a PDF
document.  One gotcha was that printing from the Preview window will
send raw PDF to the print queue, wasting lots of paper with garbage (HP
LaserJet 4100MFP otherwise can cope with ASCII text, PCL and PostScript
automatically).  Printing from the main document window works fine.

Also, 'gnumeric' (math/gnumeric112) also prints raw PDF from the Preview
window.  At first, printing from the main worksheet window never produced
output.  'lpd' advances the sequence number, saying a job was queued,
but nothing ever emerged from the printer.  Then, for no apparent reason,
it started working.

Printing a simple text file with 'lpr' works fine.

> "It used to work, now it doesn't, and going back to the previous version
> doesn't work anymore, either."

I'm about at the point of rolling everything else back to pkgsrc-2016Q3,
and rebuild some sort of firefox-which-is-not-v49.x.

> Off to visit the penguin-OS exhibit...

After some bizarre-ness (how did it forget where the nvidia blob driver
for X was, just sitting powered off for a couple of weeks?), firefox-50.1.0
on Linux Mint 17.3 prints just fine.