Re: interaction during mass builds

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:04:47PM +0100, Jörn Clausen wrote:
>> What is the general stance of pkgsrc on this issue? Should
>> PKGSRC_RUN_TEST still result in an uninterrupted build? I usually use
>> "pkg_chk -k" and look at the failed packages later. Put differently:
>> Is this worth a PR against lang/php56, or is this the intended
>> behavior?
>
> At the very least, a build with _BATCH defined must be non-interactive.
> Whether a non-batch build should be non-interactive is a bit more open
> for discussion, but I generally don't see a reason for it to be. If it
> is, it must be added to INTERACTIVE_STAGES or whatever the name was.

I realize this is just discussing the defaults, but my take is that
a software build being interactice is just plain broken, and that pkgsrc
should default to non-interactive unless some affirmative permission to
interact has been granted.

(I think this is what you more or less hinted at, but I have stated it
more confrontationally ;-)