Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

On 6 July 2015 at 10:37, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 10:38:52AM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > Am Mon, 6 Jul 2015 08:28:26 +0530
> > schrieb Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>:
> >
> > > pkgsrc is a "packaging spec". Revision control requirements for such spec
> > > are much simpler than those for the package itself. pkgsrc is not a
> > > "development" per se. Hence the notions of distributed development etc.
> > > are an overkill for pkgsrc.
> >
> > Let me chime in here with experience from a similar project: I happen
> > to be involved in Source Mage GNU/Linux, which is a source-based
> > distribution. Meaning: It is a large set of small files that contain
> > "packaging spec". Currently, that's around 41000 files, all together
> > 372 MiB on disk (inflated because of file system sectors) in a git
> > checkout. The whole repository (the .git directory) is 169 MiB.
>
> I believe individual contributors (about whose ease of contribution the
> discussion is going on) are not required to deal with such large size.
>
> Also, I wonder whether git has been debated for use with main pkgsrc,
> kernel, base etc. and what various contributors' opinions on the same are.

I think of all of pkgsrc-wip, pkgsrc, kernel & base, pkgsrc-wip is the
best (possibly the only one) suited to being on github. The others may
work well with git, but even if they moved to git they would have the
masters on TNF servers.

Since pkgsrc-wip really needs to move from sourceforge, and Joyent has
(as far as I am aware) not had any serious issues with their
pkgsrc-wip github mirror, lets move pkgsrc-wip to github.