Re: mail/mutt-kz build fails in configure phase on iconv "good enough" check

On 8/27/14, 6:34 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> pkgsrc has wrappers and buildlink3, which tries to isolate the pkg
> build environment to the expressed dependencies.  So you really have
> to debug this within pkgsrc.  But you can do that by looking at
> config.log, or if really desperate, by doing "bmake configure" and
> then adding "set -x" at the beginning.  Probably you'll find that the
> cc invocation from configure didn't work right for some reason that
> isn't really about iconv.

Hi, Greg.

Thank you for your suggestions; they were seriously helpful!  I didn't
know about config.log, and that indeed contained the explanation of what
was going wrong.  You were spot on in your suspicion that something
probably went wrong in the cc invocation and that it wasn't about iconv
at all!

===
configure:11924: checking whether this iconv is good enough
configure:11952: clang -o conftest -Wall -pedantic -Wno-long-long \
-pipe -O2 -I/usr/include -I/pkg-current/include -I/usr/include \
-I/pkg-current/include -I/pkg-current/include -Wl,-x -L/usr/lib \
-L/pkg-current/lib -L/pkg-current/lib conftest.c -lnotmuch  -liconv >&5
configure:11952: $? = 0
configure:11952: ./conftest
dyld: Library not loaded: libnotmuch.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /pkgsrc-current/mail/mutt-kz/work/\
mutt-kz-1.5.22.1-rc1/./conftest
  Reason: image not found
./configure: line 1789: 49376 Trace/BPT trap: 5 \
      ./conftest$ac_exeext
configure:11952: $? = 133
configure: program exited with status 133
===

So, the real problem is that the test configure program can't find the
notmuch library!  Upon investigating this, it turns out the problem is
that the notmuch library was built with an incorrect install_name, thus
preventing any program (including this configure test program) that
links with it as a dependent library from finding it when run.  (I just
recently sent an email to the pkgsrc-users list with a patch to fix
that. [1])

After fixing the notmuch library, the configure phase completes
successfully.  Problem solved.  (There's another problem now, in the
build phase, but I'll send a fix for that to the list in a new thread.)

> Another question is if you are generally able to build things and if
> this is the exception.  I'm guessing that's the case from how you
> phrased the question, but I always like to check for higher-level
> issues.

Yes, I'm generally able to build things.

Again, thank you for your excellent help!

Lewis

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2014/09/01/msg020295.html