Re: meta-pkgs/gnome fails for me on NetBSD 4.0/i386

OBATA Akio wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:12:01 +0900, OBATA Akio <obache%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:

Adding following line may help you.
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-compositor

I added the suggested line to wm/metacity/Makefile and got the same
result as before: No package 'xdamage' found.
Hmm, and then, how about commented out following line?
.include "../../x11/libXdamage/buildlink3.mk"

And also following line?
.include "../../x11/libXcomposite/buildlink3.mk"

I discovered while attempting these last two suggestions that I had added the CONFIGURE_ARGS line within an inactive if-then-else section of the Makefile. With that change done right and the two .include lines optionally commented out, the build fails when trying to include Xcomposite.h and Xdamage.h.

It looks like I'll either have to wait for the XFree86 compatibility fix or bite the bullet and switch to modular X.org. I'm not opposed to progress and figure I'll have to get there some day. What surprises me is the dearth of information on going about this, particularly on an existing system with the default XFree86 installed. Do I have to do anything to uninstall the default distribution? What packages are required? After searching on the NetBSD site and at large using Google, I did not find much useful information.

--Dan