Re: NetBSD 10 and unreliable git

Hi Martin and Aryabhata,

network is probably the issue. I was around this weekend and used
wireless in two different places, the connection was good. I know both
places and used them often with different computers (parent's house,
girlfriend home.. not some hotel or airport).

However, at my home today I launched on both repositories via wired
ethernet and it worked.

Martin Husemann wrote:
> I have never seen that (neither on 10.0 nor on -current). It is very
> hard to tell what causes the errors for you. Two potential reasons
> would be network issues (e.g. a bug in the driver for the network device
> you are using) or the limit of simultaneous open files.

I suppose network issues. Since cloning the same repository and updating
the other - both failed before also with reboots - now worked. I hope
git is deterministic.

Now that I write, I remember having seen this error on one of my old
SparcStations. There, just reuissing the command helped. It was however
on a much smaller repository.

> If you are using /bin/sh (or bash) please tell us the output of "ulimit -a"
> [or for {t}csh: "limit").

sure:

sphere$ ulimit -a
time          (-t seconds    )    unlimited
file          (-f blocks     )    unlimited
data          (-d kbytes     )       262144
stack         (-s kbytes     )         4096
coredump      (-c blocks     )    unlimited
memory        (-m kbytes     )      7877324
locked memory (-l kbytes     )      2625774
thread        (-r threads    )         3991
process       (-p processes  )         1024
nofiles       (-n descriptors)         1024
vmemory       (-v kbytes     )    unlimited
sbsize        (-b bytes      )    unlimited

> What network device are you using? Can you show the relevant part of
> /var/run/dmesg.boot? Also the output of ifconfig for the device (sometimes
> checksum offload breaks things).

[     1.048313] ral0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0: Ralink Technologies
RT3090 802.11b/g/n (rev. 0x00)
[     1.048313] ral0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 19
[     1.048313] ral0: 802.11 address 70:f3:95:e2:36:11
[     1.048313] ral0: MAC/BBP RT3090 (rev 0x3213), RF RT3020 (MIMO 1T1R)

Ifconfig in a non-connected status says:
ral0: flags=0x8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ssid ""
        powersave off
        address: 70:f3:95:e2:36:11
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect