Re: $squid is not set properly

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> Hello,
>
> on boot, I see this message:
> /etc/rc: WARNING: $squid is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
>

> but I have no squid related lines in my /etc/rc.conf and I don't use
> squid, so I don't think I need it (or does the system need it?).

Almost certainly, you have squid installed via pkgsrc, or you have a
leftover /etc/rc.d/squid because you used to.

I generally recommnd

  - going over your "keepable" (manually installed) packages and "pkgin
    uk" those you don't actually want and then "pkgin ar"

  - unpacking the releese etc and xetc sets e.g. to /usr/netbsd-etc and
    then "diff -ur /usr/netbsd-etce/etc /etc" and *thoughfully* reducing
    differences to those that you desire, pausing to understand all
    differences

One could argue that having a package installed that has an rc.d file
which is not enabled is not a bug and that no warnig should be
generated.  The base system has defaults (/etc/defaults/rc.d) so you
don't get this for base rc.d files.  Everything installed by pkgsrc has
to default to off (running daemons because of installation without
configuration is not ok),

All that said the typical approach is to ignore these lines.