Re: Install Failure RPi 4

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
I have an RPi 4b using a USB flash drive and RPi OS.

I attempted to install NetBSD 10 on an SD card.

On the RPi, I downloaded arm64.img.gz and extracted arm64.img.

 ls -l arm64.img
rw-rw-r-- 1 tomdean tomdean 1582301184 Apr  3 15:02 arm64.img

I used dd to copy the image to an SD card.

 dd if=armv7.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1m conv=sync

After this, the SD card looked OK for the RPi.

I shut down the RPi, removed the USB flash drive. I connected a mouse, keyboard, and display, and powered up with the SD card inserted.

The red LED is on continuously. The green LED flashed for ~1 sec, was off for ~1 sec, flashed for ~2 sec, was off for ~2 sec, flashed for ~3 sec, then was off (5 minutes). The display flashed then was blank, again (5 min).

Tom Dean

After "dding", mount the fat partition of the card in a temporary directory, let's
say /mnt.
Download the last zip at https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases.
Extract the zip in /mnt, don't care about replacing files.
Boot the rpi.
Hit esc when the logo and the progress bar appear.
In the menu, navigate and disable the 3G ram limit.
Be sure in the boot order options that the sd card is first.
Change the cpu frequency if you want, but I don't recommend to set it more than
2GHz.
You can use serial console for the hole process, _don't_trust_the_wiki_. Use
the common gpios 14(txd) and 15(rxd) and any ground.

Regards,
adr