Re: compile kernel

Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Is there a better way to config a netbsd kernel.
>
> GENERIC is getting so big.

I assume that this is in reference to NetBSD/amd64...

Use the MODULAR kernel??  This list might be incomplete, but it does
remove a number of drivers from the kernel.

Edit GENERIC and remove / comment out what you don't want...  this is,
perhaps, less desirable as the 'no ...' stuff works well.

Use the GENERIC.local thing and put in 'no ...' lines for the stuff you
don't want....

Create a new config that includes GENERIC and has 'no ...' lines for the
stuff you don't want....  I did this for a GENERIC PVHcentric amd64
kernel...  it had a lot of 'no ... ' lines.

Realize that a lot of systems today, both big and small, are pretty big
compared to XX years ago and the GENERIC kernel really isn't that
bad....

[personal nit...  it would be nice if the isa bus would be eliminated
entirely, but there appears to be an edge case when compiling a
XEN3_DOM0 kernel that requires it to be there...  don't remember why...]

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org