Subject: Re: 4.99.16 and packages-2006Q4
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2007 13:10:41
--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 12:53:20PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:36:58 +0200
> Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:
>=20
> > No. The problem was not a lack of old symlimks. The problem was a
> > lack of old libraries. And this is why I said you were begging for
> > trouble.
>=20
> Right -- lying to the system is indeed a bad idea.  My question is how
> can we avoid the necessity?

We used to have packages that installed old versions of libraries. So if
you got the "1.3" compat package, all shared libraries (of a specific
major number) that were in 1.3 but not 1.4 were installed.=20

The emulators/netbsd32_compat1[456] packaes are similar, but are more for=
=20
cross-arch installation.

Take care,

Bill