Subject: Re: When NetBSD 4.0?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2007 01:26:13
On Jul 6, 11:07pm, Mark Weinem wrote:
} On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Andrew Ball wrote:
}
} >  PP> What about NetBSD 4.0?
} >
} > When it's ready.  Hopefully not before then. ;-)
}
} hey, this is not Debian ;) I hope that NetBSD will return to a regular
} release process after the belated release of 4.0

     Umm, what regular release process?  I've been following NetBSD
since the very early days and there has never been a regular release.
The answer to the question is, "When it's ready."

     Somewhat more seriously, history has shown that there tends to be
at least two betas and at least two rcs (release candidates), followed
by building release sets and populating mirrors.  The release
candidates run for two weeks unless problems are found.  The release
building takes one week.  One of my jokes is that the announcement of a
NetBSD release candidate is a trigger for other projects (OpenSSL,
OpenSSH, BIND, Kerberos, etc.) to release security advisories.
Although, I believe it is a coincidence, it does happen fairly often
and results in a delay.  Anyways, all this means that the 4.0 release
is a good two to three months away since we are on the first beta (of
the rebranch).

} Other projects manage a release once (or even twice) a year.

     Yes, they release whether they have anything interesting or not.
NetBSD releases when there is something interesting and it has
stablised.  Also, releasing too often is very annoying for people using
it in production.

}-- End of excerpt from Mark Weinem