Subject: FFS and Journaling
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Simon Truss <simon@bigblue.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2007 10:24:34
Hi,

 From the recent SOC discussion I gather that the advantage of
journalling over softdep is the fast replay of the journal obviating the
need to fsck the whole disk. My thinking here is that softdep and
journalling has been kept as independent strategies and that a combined
softdep+journal may prove slightly simpler and more efficient than a
full blown independent journal solution.

since softdep ensures the safety of the data on disk, would it not be
possible to create a softdep journal that logs enough detail to identify
just those areas of disk that would need to an fsck? That is after all
the purpose of a normal journal, to identify those parts of the disc
that need updating/fixing. softdep ensures that we don't need to log how
to fix it, just what needs fixing.

my other thought on the matter is that softdep reduces the number of
writes to disk by delaying the writes for a short time and optimising
the write dependency graph, it then has the expense of rollbacks to
ensure consistency. could not a journal take the place of the rollbacks
allowing fast sequential writes of the rollback data?

Simon