Subject: Re: pkgsrc: ftp connections continually time out. Not behind
To: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
From: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/16/2007 20:06:11
At 12:31 AM 14/01/07, you wrote:
>Alasdair wrote:
> > Could the answer be to disable the IPv6 on NetBSD? If so, how does one do
> > this, and does it restrict any other services if you do?
> >
> > Regards and thanks for all assistance,
> >
> > Alasdair
>
>As opposed to doing anything too drastic you can specify
>FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS="-4" in your mk.conf.  This will force ftp(1) to use
>IPv4 only.  This should at least help you troubleshoot this a little
>further.
>
>adrian.

Thanks adrian,

this worked, it would seem that Ignatios original suggestion

"[2] You might be a victim of a router that advertizes IPv6 to your
     machine, but doesn't really route it. In this case you'll get long
     timeouts when ftp is trying to open a ipv6 connection.
     Windows XP has IPv6, but the method to enable it is somewhat hidden,
     so I suspect it's not enabled in yoru installation. "

was on the mark. I'm happy to report that I am now able to download pkgs
with no problem. Thanks to all that suggested solutions.

Alasdair