Subject: Re: pkgsrc: ftp connections continually time out. Not behind
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/13/2007 20:06:59
At 12:37 AM 12/01/07, you wrote:
>Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>Geert Hendrickx wrote:

>>>Why would that be wrong?  It's just a private /26 subnet.
>>It is wrong because the broadcast address, the netmask, and the IP
>>address are related, and cannot be chosen randomly. In fact, given the IP
>>address and the network mask, you can calculate the broadcast address,
>>and with the above values, the broadcast address will *not* be
192.168.1.255.
>>It should in fact be 192.168.1.63, so either the netmask should be
>>changed, or the broadcast address should be changed. Pick one.
>>     Johnny
>
>That's what I meant, broadcast address and netmask don't fit to each
>other. Since /26 subnets are quite uncommon on private class c nets, I
>decided to suggest to adjust the netmask.
>
>Yours,
>Andreas

Hi,

I tried the  ftp -A , as suggested by Ignatios with the same result as
before. Connection timed out . I don't really understand networks that
well. Can I "adjust the netmask" if that's what the problem is, if I am
using DHCP? If so how is this done?

I checked ifconfig -a  again and the relevant line (judging by your
replies) was

inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 Broadcast 192.162.1.255

I post this because,  I hand copied all the tables in my last post, I don't
know if there was a typo . Apologies if this was the case.

Ignatios also asked me a question which i notice I failed to answer in my
last post :

"Did you enable IPv6 in the Windows installation that has working ftp on?"

"You might be a victim of a router that advertizes IPv6 to your
     machine, but doesn't really route it. In this case you'll get long
     timeouts when ftp is trying to open a ipv6 connection.
     Windows XP has IPv6, but the method to enable it is somewhat hidden,
     so I suspect it's not enabled in yoru installation" ip

The answer to which might provide the solution.

I run Win98se (for my sins) I looked around and found it has no support for
IPv6 .

Could the answer be to disable the IPv6 on NetBSD? If so, how does one do
this, and does it restrict any other services if you do?

Regards and thanks for all assistance,

Alasdair