Subject: S.M.A.R.T
To: NetBSD-Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Fincham <matthewf@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/15/2003 13:04:39
Hi

A while ago I posted on reading S.M.A.R.T information from hard drives. What
I have noticed is that if the BIOS does not have S.M.A.R.T enabled then the
returned data doesn't change, even when there are errors on the drive and
S.M.A.R.T has been enabled (using the ata commands).  What I can conclude is
that the S.M.A.R.T data is only valid if S.M.A.R.T has been enabled in the
BIOS. Does this make sense? I am looking for a way to get valid S.M.A.R.T
data regardless of the BIOS setting, but have so far come up with nothing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Matthew Fincham