Subject: Re: Unable to upgrade using sysinst
To: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/05/2003 00:36:29
    Date:        Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:32:25 -0400
    From:        Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>

  | 1) Upgrade from a directory that is local
  | 2) Upgrade from a filesystem that isn't mounted

The second of those has been widely reported to either be almost
impossible to work out how to use correctly, or simply broken.
Almost no-one attempts to use it, so I suspect there isn't anyone
actually looking to see what is broken, and fix it (or its documentation).

The first one works, but as you noted, the filesystem isn't likely to
be mounted at the relevant time.

The workaround for the broken(2) is to mount the filesystem ...

That is, get a shell from sysinst (sometime early, when that option
still exists, of if you're brave, suspend it) mount the filesystem tha
you need somewhere (which you probably need to mkdir first), find the
path to the sets you need in the now mounted system, resume sysinst (exit
the shell) and then use the first of those two methods.

kre