Subject: Motherboard beeps
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl.netbsd@wasmer.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2003 09:32:04
Hi,

I have a box running the 1.6 release.

From time to time, the box would beep for 2 seconds every 30 seconds or so.
The only way to make it stop would be to reboot the system, not knowing what
the problem was.

Yesterday, I open the box since it started doing it again. I realized it was
not the RAID card that was responsible for that noise (as I first imagined
although there was no error in its BIOS/setup screen): the beeps come from the
motherboard. It's an Asus CUR-DLS. I was going to reboot the system when I
noticed two CVS process that where taking almost 100% of the CPU. These ps had
been running for 60 hours. Killing them stopped the beeps.

To me it looks like the motherboard monitors the temperature.

The reseller told me that he never had such behavior with this board so "it can
only be the installed SOFTWARE" that makes the beeps.

Would NetBSD do that?

JL