Subject: Re: AIC-7899 & RAIDFrame SCSI problems in 1.5.2
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Colin Surprenant <crsng1@netscript.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2002 11:46:21
[ On Tuesday, March 12, 2002 13:07 Greg A. Woods wrote: ]

> You don't say anything about what drives you're using, and I don't
> remember if you reported it last time or not.  I'm assuming the problems
> with the -current ahc driver only affects it when true Ultra-160 (LVD)
> drives are attached.  With 1.5.2 you won't even be getting more than
> 80MB/s (40MHz@16bit) attachments regardless of the drive.

I'm using two U160 18GB Seagate ST318305LC (Cheetah 10k).

> BTW, what do you mean by a a "hot-pluggable bay"?  SCA drives and
> connectors?  True SCSI switch on the back of the bay?  Compaq bays with
> the electrical equivalent of SCA?  Some other electrical equivalent of
> SCA?

To tell you the truth, I have no idea and I am not familiar with
hot-pluggable
technologies . I just know they are "hot-pluggable" per Dell literature:
"six 1-inch, internal, hot-pluggable Ultra3 SCSI hard drive bays".
(Dell Poweredge 1500SC tech spec. I haven't found more precise
information  about the hot-pluggable bays on Dell web site).

> The FreeBSD-4.0 driver works very well with AIC-7880 _and_ AIC-7899
> chips and all kinds of drives I've tried with it, or heard about working
> with it.  Re-porting the current FreeBSD ahc driver seems long overdue,
> but it's something I cannot do, at least not without a great deal of
> help from the last person to do the port (and finding the time to do the
> work).

At this point I have no problem living with the degraded performance of the
current 1.5.2 driver but could really benefit the added reliability of
having
a fix for the drive disconnection problem. Until the FreeBSD-4.0 driver
finds its way into our tree...
Anyhow, I'll send a PR about my particular problem.

Thanks,
Colin.