Subject: Re: My attempts to use NetBSD/Mac 1.0_BETA
To: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@amherst.edu>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/21/1994 17:30:49
> First, I'm running a IIci with 8 megs RAM and a 100 meg drive (75 root&usr,
> 25 swap).  I have a Toby Frame buffer 8-bit video card, a 3Com Ethernet
> card, and a 128k Micron XCeed cache card.  (This is, incidentally, the IIci
> that I gave to Lawrence to work with a couple of months ago.)

Did it have the cache card and ethernet card when Lawrence had it?

> The install went very smoothly.  No problems.  I began by starting up in
> single user mode, RAM at 8 megs with RAM auto set on anyway.  I managed to
> change my root password.  However, given some small number of commands (it
> seems inconsistent, but between 5 and 10), and commands, the machine
> freezes.  Also, if I try to run adduser (which I can't seem to find
> anywhere, but that's another question), I get a "adduser: command not
> found", the "#" prompt, and an immediate lockup.

I can't tell you about "adduser," but I can tell you that the current
ADB driver doesn't care for the initial console.  If you hit return,
be gentle with it and let the screen scroll befre letting the return
key back up.  Run "dt" as soon as you can, because that runs in user
mode and doesn't lock interrupts out as long as the ite scroll does.

> So, am I goofing something up?  Or is this just the instability we were
> warned about?  Or is it my machine architechture?

Actually, MacBSD has been running solid as a rock for me (of course it
always works on the development machines...), but I run "dt" immediately
after logging in.

> Other questions.  As mentioned earlier, I couldn't find adduser.  Forgive
> my lack of UNIX administration knowledge, but is there something else I
> should be using here?  Or is this just missing?  Second question...what
> about X11?  To be release later when other problems are ironed out?

Did you see my recent message on macbsd-development?  Reply to me
personally if you are interested in preliminary patches for Xmacbsd.

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@tenon.com ++++++++++++++++ http://acm.vt.edu/~grantham/
UNIX is kind of like a car with primer but no paint, foam but no upholstery, a