Subject: UNIX on PowerPC
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@apple.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/15/1994 19:37:15
Just to be clear - A/UX runs native on the 680x0 Macintoshes - that
is, it totally blows away MacOS when launching, and takes over the
whole system. When you run MacOS apps, A/UX creates an environment for
that within this context. If you want full performance from your
hardware (what there is of it), this is the only way to go.

Apple does plan to have UNIX for the PowerPC. I believe that it will be
some flavor of AIX, with a variety of A/UX stuff added to it. When, I
dunno. Take this with a few grains of salt, since I am not involved in
that work at all and we may do something completely different (they
never tell me anything).

Of course, IBM is already shipping some PowerPC/AIX workstations,
under the RS/6000 rubric.

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com