Subject: working ethernet driver
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Parker <brad@stemwinder.fcr.com>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/23/1994 21:49:47
I put new versions of if_ae.c, if_aereg.h and via.c up for anon ftp on
ftp.fcr.com (try ftp://ftp.fcr.com/pub/macbsd/if_ae/if_ae.shar) There
is a kernel there also with this driver in it.

I've used this driver with my Interlan card and with a apple clone
card from Asante ('Asante MacCon II/E').  It works reliably for me.  I
can telnet in/out, ftp in/out, rlogin, rsh, even rpcinfo. (I have not
tried nfs yet).

[oh, all this is on a IIcx, 8mb, toby frame buffer]

I'd love someone to try this with an apple card.  The magic in via.c
was mostly disabling nubus interrupts when servicing the adb interrupts.
That and fixing a interlock bug in the nubus interrupt service routine.
Also, the the if_ae driver was enabling interrupts before installing it's
isr (probably my fault).

I'd also be curious if whom ever added the dayna card support could
try it out with this.  I changed the xmit write path to write in 16
bit sizes instead of 8, because some cards have cheesy hardware which
won't accept byte writes.

now that I have ethernet I can get some real work done! ;-) like
compiling emacs!

-brad