Re: Disappearing mouse buttons

Hello,

On Tue, 08 Feb 2022 15:06:43 +0100
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> wrote:

> I'm looking for something that I can't find...  The "Kensington Expert
> Mouse" trackball on my amd64-current workstation has four buttons and a
> scroll wheel, and these used to generate all different button presses -
> so at least six distinct buttons.  This was still working with a
> -current from back at the start of September.
>
> After a fresh update, however, it now reports thus:
>
> uhidev1 at uhub4 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
> uhidev1: vendor 047d (0x047d) Kensington Expert Mouse (0x1020), rev 2.00/1.06, addr 4, iclass 3/1
> ums0 at uhidev1: 5 buttons and Z dir
> wsmouse0 at ums0 mux 0
>
> With this, I suddenly have the fourth button mapped as a duplicate of
> one of the scroll wheel directions.  The wsmouse mapping is "1 2 3 4 5",
> and the fourth button generates button 4; the scroll wheel 4 and 5.  The
> fourth button, then, is just single steps of one scroll direction, while
> it used to give me the "back" function normally associated with one of
> the thumb buttons on most modern mice.
>
> I've been looking at changes in sys/dev/usb, sys/dev/hid, and
> sys/dev/wscons, but I can't find anything that looks relevant.
>
> If anyone has any hints for me, that would be appreciated!

Does it still work as expected with an older -current?
It may be a long shot, but the ADB variants of these trackballs are
programmable, on the hardware side, on which button sends what event.
That's more or less why the ktm driver exists.
No idea if the USB ones are, but who knows.
Might be worth checking what the windows driver does. It might have
remapped some buttons and maybe the settings are sticky.

have fun
Michael