"bootinfo too big" netbooting amd64-8.0_BETA?

On a machine that normally runs amd64-7.1_STABLE from local disk, I used
to be able to netboot (PXE) an 8.0_BETA kernel and operate via NFS root.
I have "-obootconf,modules" enabled in the "pxeboot_ia32.bin" I use
(from i386-8.99.7).

After some time of not doing so, I again tried netbooting that machine
today.  It did not succeed.  I observed the kernel segments loading,
followed by the various modules specified in the machine's NFS-resident
"boot.cfg" file, then:

[kernel segments]
[module load messages]
bootinfo too big
Boot fail

Other machines netboot with this arrangement just fine (normally
booting -current).

The particular machine in question has a large number of hard disks
(nine of them, 1x9GB + 8x1TB ).  Might that have something to do with
it?