Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

On Nov 19, 11:46am, Hauke Fath wrote:
} On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 21:24:18 +0100, Rhialto wrote:
}
} > and they make A.H. seem like a relatively normal person. Now if
} > he was quoted at his worst, it might be obvious what sort of monster he
} > was,
}
} I kind of object to this attempt to de-humanize Hitler. I think it very
} much belittles the role of the millions of willingly helping hands (and
} brains) he found, and without which he would not have gone anywhere.
} Brecht's "Questions from A Worker Who Reads" applies, I guess:
} <https://msu.edu/~sullivan/TransBrechtWorker.html>.

     This gave me a 404, but Google was kind enough to provide
another reference:
http://www.bradford-delong.com/2011/04/questions-from-a-worker-who-reads-by-bertolt-brecht.html , http://tinyurl.com/y97x9qb9 .

} For better or worse, humanity gets to own Hitler, just like Pol Pot,
} Stalin, Cromwell and all the other butchers. This is what we can turn
} into, when push comes to shove.
}
} > but that is not the effect of these quotes. His crimes against
} > humanity are trivialised by putting things he said next to people like
} > Mahatma Gandhi.

     Gandhi was no saint, neither was Mother Theresa for that
matter.  If you look, you will find things that are considered to
be bad, especially in the light of history.  There is unlikely to
be a human being anywhere that has never done a bad thing.  I will
agree that with some people, it is hard to see the positive, but
everybody has good and bad points.

} Like on a public library shelf ("biographies"), you mean, or on TV,
} where a nazi war film will be displayed through the same apparatus as a
} Gandhi film?
}
}-- End of excerpt from Hauke Fath